Saturday, March 16, 2013

SA-GEUK- 사극 + Why Wiki Isn't Always the Best Source of Information

I've just recently found out I've always used the wrong romanization for the korean term "historical drama". I used "Sae-guk" instead of the correct "Sa-geuk". In fact, I don't even know what "Sae" Guk is.

Whew. I'm not like a major expert in Korean. I've only briefly learnt the alphabet, know a couple of common phrases, so I guess it's normal for me to assume things.

Now that I think of it, Sa Geuk (or guk?) is closely related (or pratically is) to the Chinese term for historical drama which is "史劇". It sounds much closer to the Cantonese interpretation than the Mandarin one though.Wow, all makes sense now.

So, "Sa Geuk/Guk/" it is!

Which brings me to say "Guam Heo Jun" the long-anticipated popular remake is a "sa geuk" that is airing next Monday!





















Lovely Wikipedia

Everyone knows ANYONE can edit Wikipedia.

Everyone knows Wikipedia can be bias.

And everyone knows, it shouldn't always be trusted.

So whilst searching for the correct Korean spelling for historical drama I was led to a wikipedia link on "Korean drama".

It must've been written up pretty recently because the examples of dramas they give don't include other popular hits or notable names from earlier years. Of course, I couldn't care less about it (and some of their sentences made absolutely no sense) but when I scrolled to the real bottom where they had the heading "Notable actors"... I scoffed as I scanned through their so called 'list'. 



















Er.... *please note all the names with brackets*coughcough*

Sure, maybe they have included some people that should be recognized... but what's with all these IDOL mentions?

Obviously the person who wrote/edit this might've been a bit too bias in their selection of 'notable' actors? Maybe in 'their' perspective' these idol-actors who have been active for the least 1 freakin' year are quite 'notable' to them?

So yes, maybe you can go on wikipedia to search for say...the structure of glutathione !  (if you so wanted to) and be assured of correct information, but search for what Korean drama is and you might more or less get just an 'opinion' from some bias fan.





0 comments:

Post a Comment