Sunday, October 28, 2012

Arang and the Magistrate Feels

What's that word to describe that feeling you have after finishing a really good drama and theres that lingering despair and saddening parting that comes with it?


I finally caught up on 'Arang and the Magistrate' and finished today. I really loved the cast, I really loved everyone. (Even the baddies, I admit!) But what I loved the most was the love between Sa-Do and Arang. I really loved every minute of their interaction, whether it was their early bickering, to the silent caring towards each other in the middle, and finally the love the bloomed along the way (And yes, I do ship very hard this couple in real life!).

There was this element in this drama that really stuck with me. Perhaps in the later parts, I started noticing the frequent shots of each character alone with their thoughts. Those moments an actor was having a dilemma in which they had to act out alone with just thoughts and expression. Most important to note and what drew me in was Ju-Wal (Yeon Woo Jin). Towards the end, where his memories of what his evil deeds, the breakdown he had, the regret, remorse, the sorrow, he expressed everything so well, all alone.


Sa-Do (Lee Jun Ki) also had many of those moments alone where they had to express a range of emotions, and not to forget Arang (Shin Mi-na). How many times have these actors had screenshots of them sitting in their rooms, thinking and monologuing their inner thoughts? I'm no drama expert, but I'm guessing these scenes are the true tests of an actor's ability. No lines, no second person, just using those thoughts and conveying those feelings through expression is what really drew me in for this drama. Kudos to everyone!














And the ending. Oh, the ending. It couldn't have been better. Love.















(Yes, they should totally date in real life!)

Off to coax my withdrawal symptoms by drowning myself in 'Arang and the Magistrate' OST music...

0 comments:

Post a Comment