Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Great Seer Episode 7&8

Episode 7


Mother and Son Reunion (Sort-of)


Oh man. What pulls at viewers the most is when we know the whole backstory about the births and relationships, but the characters are the oblivious ones. And we're just sitting there screaming in our minds (or at the screen): he's your son! right there! oh my gosh!













The other mother-son couple meet for the first time and theres a different feeling to this one. The Priestess is power-hungry,vicious and will do anything to obtain her goal, but we see when her son held her hand, she was startled, taken back. I'm pretty sure behind all her armour she really misses her son deep down there. But Jung Geun only has eyes for who he views as his true mother, Young Ji. What will this twisted relationship become of as the story develops? We know he becomes evil later on, will he side with the Priestess or Young Ji? I must say, the evil characters and their relationships are what pique my interest the most in this show.

Underestimated? 


I particularly loved this scene between the Head Priestess and Young Ji, each spewing threats at each other.

YJ: Do you think I'll get over the anger of losing my child that easily?
HP: I'm not here to negotiate.
YJ: I'm threatening you. You need to stop if you want to live.
HP:What you gave His Highness was a fake Ja Mi Won.A weak kid who is constantly bullied will fight back when he believes something will save him. That's what Ja Mi Won is to the king. He was relying on Ja Mi Won to rebel against the empire. With it, he punished the Chinese. But what if he finds out that his Ja Mi Won is fake? What will happen then? Threaten me?
YJ:Shall I threaten you too? If people find out that you have had a child as a priestess... What will happen then?
HP: You will have to tell the whole world. You will have to tell them that that very child was raised in your arms. Then Jung Geun will have to die. On the day Jung Geun was born...I threw him on the rainy ground. You think I couldn't do it now?
YJ: You think I will take Jung Geun back like I did that day?










Knowledge is power. It's the sentence that has been running through all these episodes, it's like the golden phrase for this show. Lee In Im tells the Priestess (earlier on or later, I forgot) that he knows Young Ji the best. They have destroyed her loved ones, so she'll do anything to destroy them both now. The Head Priestess has a moment of internal struggle and feels that she might have underestimated Young Ji. Will she really give up Jung Geun to expose of her evil crimes? Is her 'card' that she has put down really of no use now?


Episode 8










Moo Hak and Hyo Myung (aka Hae In's father) realize that Lee Sung Gye's father's grave is built upon 'the land of kings' and finally it is clear to both of them after Hyo Myung retrieves General Lee's birthdate that he has the fate of the king, a future king. Wow, just wow. Let's let that sink in. It is funny how Hyo Myung questioned this as Lee Sung Gye's mannerisms and character don't really suit a king (for now). I think I might miss that when he become all serious later on.

 Creepy and Scary Monk















I'll admit that when I first saw the Monk, I thought he was a bit cute. But that was only for a few seconds, then he turned into a creep after I figured he wasn't such a great guy. From what I remember from his character description, he is highly valued by King Gongmin, but he takes advantage of this and becomes evil later on (not like he isn't right now). With his fight with Moohak (they seem to be disciples under that same great monk), he's looking for a girl who has the face of a future queen and lo and behold, he stumbles upon Ban Ya. He will probably be the one to hoist her to her position later on...and in turn create chaos.

To Reveal or Not to Reveal

I have to say it, but I really love her costume!


So the moment the Head Priestess has been biting her nail about. Young Ji admits she has given the King the fake Ja Mi Won (but seriously, can they even read the map? Don't they need divine eyes?) and she accepts her punishment. She heads out just to stop and starts to reveal it...starts to...and ends up keeping it shut. So she really does care for Jung Geun, as she tells the Head Priestess that she is the 'true' mother of Jung Geun's.
















What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger



















Perhaps Young Ji might want to listen to Kelly Clarkson's song while in confinement, hm? Props to the director who shot this particular scene that was so poignant, so beautiful. The cherry blossoms gave a nostalgic feeling that brought us back to the moment when Young Ji and Dong Yoon spent their first night.


DY: It will be scary. You won't be able to tell the difference between night and day. You won't be able to tell how many days or years have gone by. And... it will be lonely.
YJ: No! No! It will not be scary or lonely. Because you will be with me. I will endure it. Just like how you survived in here...And how you gave me our child. I will survive and find that child.

Darn, so heartbreaking!

All Grown-Up


















To be honest, I wasn't really impressed with the transition between child to adult. I thought it could've been better, but oh well. So we leap in time now into the entrance of the grown-ups. We've peered into each person's fate and background now it's time to prepare for the real battle with fate, the stars, the sky and whatever else we might come upon...

0 comments:

Post a Comment