Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thinking About: Park Shin Hye

credit: tumblr@kpoprocksmysocks

Last night, for some unknown reason, I suddenly thought about Park Shin Hye. More specifically, I was thinking about a drama I watched called "Tree of Heaven", and I suddenly had the urge to rewatch it. Instead, I went on youtube and watched a couple of MV's to bring back some memories.

Lately, I hadn't been feeling good about Park Shin Hye because she was playing too many 'cutesty roles' that didn't have much of a breakthrough. When I watched the "Tree of Heaven" MV's I thought back to the times when I really liked and admired her. 



























The first time I saw her was when she was a child actor, her first drama was Stairway to Heaven (2003), a classic and a 'hallyu hit'. Her character was tragic, like in many of those classics, and I remembered her performance clearly. The second impression I got was from Tree of Heaven (2006) with Lee Wan. She was portraying yet another tragic character (you know, with the abuse from aunt, mother remarrying, a stepbrother...all that K-drama). But her performance was still captivating, there was something that drew me in. Those were the only two dramas I watched her in that had left a good impression on me, before she jumped onto the 'idol-cutesy bandwagon'

So then there was You're Beautiful (2009) the crazy, fun dressing up as a boy to step in for her twin brother and all that drama. I admit, I was swept in the craze when it first aired. Loved the pig-rabbit, loved the humor, but when several years passed and I thought about the drama again I was like "what was I thinking?" That drama was at most just hilarious at times, at times lame, in total, pretty average.

She then went on to do other dramas with similar stories and characters and her image in my mind just washed away. I tried taking up "Heartstrings/ You've Fallen For Me (2011)" but couldn't even get past Episode 1. News of her in other dramas popped up, but I had zero interest as the plotline was what I disliked. For example Goong S, the so called sequel to Goong. She also tried a Taiwan drama "Hayate the Combat Butler (2011)" and that was down the 'cute route'. Usually, korean actors/idols will accept Taiwan dramas to break into the Chinese market, but they are usually 'idol-dramas' that really don't have much substance, and I guess this was another thing that didn't go well with me when I know she can do so much better.

I'm really hoping to see Park Shin Hye in a drama with a role that is different from her usual roles she portrays now. Unfortunately, I don't think that is any time soon as she has accepted tVN's 'flower-boy' drama: My Flower Boy Neighbour.

I know that these type of dramas do have their certain fan base, and good for them, but I kind of miss her playing tragic characters (or heck, any character different from what she's been portraying lately). Hopefully she can pick up a good drama...later. For now, cutesy-flower-boy, dramas just won't do it for me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment