Saturday, February 16, 2013

East meets West, Coincidence or Copy?

Recently, I've gotten the daily habit of going on youtube and checking out my subscriptions feed and search around for videos when I'm bored. I subscribe to this really great K-drama OST channel called bubblefeetOST. They upload new OST's right when they come out.

So I've been listening to some songs even though I might not watch the drama, and a few caught my attention. They sounded good? Maybe...

No, it was because they sounded familiar.

Case 1:
Level 7 Servant OST
Park Ji Hyeon - Flower Blooms


The moment the intro played I knew something was 'familiar'. Yes, well that's because it sounds very close to :

Keane- Everybody's Changing



Of course, it's not exactly identical that would make it seem blatantly obvious, but the similarities are there.

Case 2:
Incarnation of Money OST
Jung Jae In- The Day For You


This song takes a while for you to get warmed up to. Jung Jae In's vocals are really distinct, so distinct they totally reminded me of Adele's voice!

007 Skyfall OST- Adele



A bit similar, right?

The first time I heard this kept on thinking of a song from an American singer with a deep booming voice (Beyonce, Rihanna), but I was not that up-to-date with the English music scene to instantly think of a song that sounded similar.

And lastly, not a song but an instrumental.

Case 3:
Bad Guy OST
Subtitle 0:31

I loved the OST for Bad Guy (despite the show getting screwed over in the last part). I especially liked the instrumentals and this one in particular because of the intense strings. I was listening to a classical radio station one day and they played a song that immediately made me bounce up and compare it to this one.


Karl Jenkins- Pallidio
0:19
And it was this piece that made me bounce up. Of course, they're entirely different pieces, but there is one part in the beginning that's awfully similar to the one above.



And there you have it,  just a few of my mere music observations that related to K-drama OST's :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment