Sunday, February 3, 2013

[Interview] Jung Ryeo Won Says Being an Actress Isn′t a Privilege, but a Blessing










"I wasn′t butting in out of my place, was I?"

Jung Ryeo Won′s speech following her acceptance of the SBS Drama Awards′ Best Excellence Award drew attention for being outspoken and down-to-earth. Her main message was that she hoped production environments would be improved in the future, and that the gap between the quality of the dramas and their production environments needed to be filled.

It was a harsh thing to say, but someone needed to say it. Few, however, probably expected Jung Ryeo Won to be the one to say it. Many were caught by surprise, but they clapped to her speech as it pointed out what needed to be pointed out. Jung Ryeo Won wasn′t alone in thinking that production environments needed to be improved; it was the wish of the actors, producers and even the viewers.

It felt as though the actress who had first approached the public with a pure, naive smile had suddenly grown up. She was a person far from the oppressing image that followed the title of ′actress′.

The Jung Ryeo Won who met with enews for her interview was a person warm enough to melt the cold. Her beauty seemed to stem from her beautiful thoughts, and had us imagining her as Korea′s Audrey Hepburn 30 years from now.


































You made issues for mentioning "healthy drama productions" at the drama awards last year. Someone needed to say it, but it seemed you were really nervous.

"I became really worried after I made the statement, but everyone told me that it wasn′t out of place. I probably looked timid, but that was all I could do, and if it was able to give strength, I′m grateful (Laugh)."

Why did you decide to make the statement?
"I used to write cards to every member of the staff whenever we wrapped up filming. I thought, however, that it merely seemed like I was trying to build a kind image for myself, telling everyone they′ve worked hard. I wanted to find a way to actually help them. If you cook with ingredients gone bad, no matter how pretty you try to make it look, the end product is the same thing. I thought we needed change in order to produce healthy content."

When did you start caring about such things outside of acting, like production environments?
"I believe it was 2010. I was also able to confirm my beliefs while shooting The King of Dramas. I hope this year it′ll change at least a little."

The public now calls Jung Ryeo Won the ′smart actress′.
"I′m not a smart actress. I want to be careful around such names. I believe if I can′t think up an alternative, and merely continue to stir trouble with my words, it would be better not to say anything. You can′t bring about change alone. I haven′t even come up with an answer yet. The solution I′m thinking of now is to climb to a status where I can embrace everything. I will work hard to build a mood that will make my statements more acceptable."

Sometimes the selfishness of actresses are often dragged into the spotlight.
"Being an actress isn′t a privilege, nor is it a type of power. It′s a blessing, and you need to know how to be thankful for it, and how to share. You′ve managed to climb so high because you were blessed; you shouldn′t try to abuse the title as a type of power. Most people, however, misunderstand the title."

I′m guessing you must endure a lot because you are an actress, too.
"That′s just being weak. It′s a blessing to be an actress. Not everyone is given a status in which they can affect a giant number of people. If you think of yourself as the victim, it means you′re not ready for the title yet. There are, of course, instances where you hit injustices, and it may make you suffer, but you have to accept it because it′s a blessing also. You may be lonely, but you have to live with it too

You transformed into an actress from a singer with the drama ′The Saxophone and the Rice Cake′ in 2002. It′s been 10 years since then. Has Jung Ryeo Won changed much since?
"Acting is still very difficult for me. It becomes more fun with every attempt, though, so I think a hundred times a day that this is why I love acting . I learn something new every time. There′s no end to acting; it′s a life′s worth of study. That′s why I like it. Acting is a window, through which I can experience different things while living lives similar to the one I′m leading now."

With every new piece you′ve met praise. In your recent piece ′The King of Dramas′, you became the rookie screenwriter Lee Go Eun. Now, the public thinks of Jung Ryeo Won as an actress who isn′t afraid of new challenges.
"It′s more important in life to know how you′re maturing as a person rather than how successful you were as an actor. That′s why I choose pieces I think will help me mature rather than those that look like they′ll be successful. I′ve been worried that I wouldn′t get as many new choices, but I′ve been lucky so far in meeting great pieces."

It seems your agency wouldn′t think too kindly of your choices.
"(Laugh) That′s right. That′s why I try to get on the right side of people since my agency or the producers may not like my choices (Laugh). Still, my agency likes the pieces I like. We′ve never disagreed yet."

Is love or marriage still far from your life? It may be because you′re still in your early 30s, or because you′re still determined to do more as an actor.
"No (Laugh). Those words always stay with me. They escape from me whenever I try to make plans about them, though (Laugh). I′m not seeing anyone now."

Can we look forward to another new transformation?
"I think I′ll be in dramas or films that I would like to watch now. My character in the drama History of Salaryman was of a type I wanted to be, while my role in The King of Dramas was of a type I would have wanted to watch. I was able to be in roles that I want to be in; now, I want to be in pieces that I would want to watch."
----------------------------------------------

credit@enews



An interview I came across, a truthful and honest one. I've never really took notice of Jung Ryeo Won and only have watched the occasional few dramas she's starred in. The only one I can remember clearly from the top of my head was "My Name is Kim Sam Soon" and the next would be "Ja Myung Go" (in which everyone said was terrible but I gave a try...and agreed). Even her recent pieces, "History of a Salaryman" and "King of Dramas" were never on my drama watching list because they did not entice me. 

However, reading through this interview, I totally see her in a different light now. There aren't too many actresses out there that would 'comment' on something that seems taboo in the k-drama industry. In fact, this interview sparks back another incident of 'over-time working' and 'conflict with the production crew' with actress Han Ye Seul just 2 years ago. 

As a long time fan of k-drama watching, we really might overlook such things as the production and all the 'behind the scenes' drama. I might say that maybe I am selfish at times in just wanting to watch and expect the 'quality' they produce without thinking about the tiring schedules stars and production crews go in order to satisfy the audiences. 

In another light, I'd like to say that Jung Ryeo Won is a good example of an actress that has worked her way up honestly and diligently . As she said, she may not pick those characters that will bring her instant stardom, but those she thinks that will help her mature and that's the smartest thing an actress can say. I really want to rant about idol actors, but I think I'll back off of it for now. (Yes, I get very heated with this topic).

She mentions writing cards to the staff after filming, which I find really nice because it's an act that is sincere. There are also instances of actors treating staff to shoes, coats, (even vacations), which is nice as well and in the end it's really the thought that counts. I don't remember which actress clearly (either Ha Ji Won or Han Ji Min) saying they took the time to remember everyone's name on set, which already shows the passion and sincerity an actress can give.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I can't decide whether to use actor/actress right now because I remember someone telling me it's wrong to say "actress" because its discrimination. But I'll just stick with the 2 titles because I don't find anything wrong with them.


1 comments: