Friday, July 6, 2012

Thoughts on Hallyu [韓流]


I'm sure pretty much everyone knows a Korean music group, can name or have watched at least one Korean drama/movie and has at least one favourite celebrity? I fit the criteria of all the above. I don't remember when it actually started, it was a gradual phenomenon I suppose. Like a branch, you start at one node , which leads to another and many more connecting afterwards. 

In my 'early' days of Hallyu, I remember DBSK was the talk of the town. I remember especially watching the variety shows and listening to some of their music. Fortunately, I wasn't too immersed into them to be considered a 'fan'. I just liked laughing at the variety show that had the format of a mini-drama. Now, K-pop has evolved tremendously with the more popular than ever "girl/boy" groups I see plagued everywhere on the internet. When it comes to


"Korean music" I guess many would relate it to SNSD, f(x), Big Bang and how many other groups there are, but that definition towards me would settle under simply "K-pop"(In which I rarely listen to). Most of the korean music I encounter would be drama OSTs. I remember a phase where I also listened to indie music from various Korean artists.

The big impact of course would be Korean dramas. I don't know how I could live without them! If they were airing real-time, they would have me yearning for more, and I would have to wait for the dreaded week to pass by before I could obtain more of the 'drug.' If it were a show that was complete, I would be clicking episode after episode (if the drama were that good). And if it really was that case, something would stop me. I don't know if you have had this happen before, but recently when I came upon what I deemed was a 'really, really, really' good drama, I would watch episode after episode, until I nearly arrived at the end (maybe 2 or 3 episodes). Then I would take a break. This break was meant for me to slowly savour and long a bit more for this drama. I simply did not want it to end because it was that good. A prime example is "Damo" (which will deserve another post totally dedicated to it, but not now). These shows were like that ridiculously savourble piece of food  that was so good you would keep on devouring, and greedily wish that it would never be finished. However, as the chinese saying puts it : There is no never-ending feast.

Korean dramas pretty soon took that prime golden spot of my drama viewing. Being chinese, my first taste of addiction to dramas were from TVB (Hong Kong), however they have horribly degraded the past 6 or 7 (or longer) years where I would only watch one or two a year. Taiwanese dramas were never my piece of cake, although I would occasionally watch some to improve my mandarin skills. The 'unsavory' factor to Taiwanese dramas in my opinion, is that practically ALL their dramas are only fitted under the 'love' genre. Nothing else. Or to put it another way, they don't provide the wide fresh variety of produce there is. Then there were Japanese dramas which did have a selection, but you would have to carefully pick at it to find the right one to suit your taste. And the Korean dramas? Well, lets say they provided what all of the other's couldn't. They were the whole package.




0 comments:

Post a Comment